Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Error with Homebrew install using all --with options

Troubleshooting compilation problems on all platforms.

Error with Homebrew install using all --with options

Postby mixelpix » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:28 am

After installing ffmpeg 3.2.2 using Homebrew on my late-2012 MacBook Air (i7, 2GHz, 8GB) with macOS 10.12.3, I get this message:

Error: File exists - /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/.brew

This path is a symlink to the directory /usr/local/Cellar/ffmpeg/3.2.2/.brew/ which "ls -al" reveals to contain only the Ruby file, "ffmpeg.rb"

Prior to this I'd installed ffmpeg successfully using the basic "brew install ffmpeg". I then uninstalled it to re-install with all 39 options per "brew options ffmpeg". Now instead of a successful installation end message I get this:

Code: Select all
$ brew install ffmpeg --with-chromaprint --with-fdk-aac --with-fontconfig --with-freetype --with-frei0r --with-game-music-emu --with-libass --with-libbluray --with-libbs2b --with-libcaca --with-libebur128 --with-libgsm --with-libmodplug --with-libsoxr --with-libssh --with-libvidstab --with-libvorbis --with-libvpx --with-opencore-amr --with-openh264 --with-openjpeg --with-openssl --with-opus --with-rtmpdump --with-rubberband --with-schroedinger --with-sdl2 --with-snappy --with-speex --with-tesseract --with-theora --with-tools --with-two-lame --with-wavpack --with-webp --with-x265 --with-xz --with-zeromq --with-zimg
... (reports from the install process, e.g. Homebrews "Pouring" msgs)
==> make install
==> make alltools
$

Normally with a successful install after the "==> make alltools" message, Homebrew reports the total number of files and size of data installed. Instead, I get this error message and cannot figure out what it pertains to.

I confirmed that "brew uninstall ffmpeg" deletes the /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/ symlink directory and the actual /usr/local/Cellar/ffmpeg/ directory and contents. I tried the install again (having taken the file out of existence?) but I get the same error.

Of note, it does appear that ffmpeg is successfully getting installed:

$  ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version 3.2.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with Apple LLVM version 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.42.1)
configuration: --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/ffmpeg/3.2.2 --enable-shared --enable-pthreads --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-hardcoded-tables --enable-avresample --cc=clang --host-cflags= --host-ldflags= --enable-chromaprint --enable-ffplay --enable-frei0r --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libebur128 --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenh264 --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-librubberband --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtesseract --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzimg --enable-libzmq --enable-opencl --enable-openssl --enable-lzma --enable-libopenjpeg --disable-decoder=jpeg2000 --extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/Cellar/openjpeg/2.1.2/include/openjpeg-2.1 --enable-nonfree --enable-vda
libavutil      55. 34.100 / 55. 34.100
libavcodec     57. 64.101 / 57. 64.101
libavformat    57. 56.100 / 57. 56.100
libavdevice    57.  1.100 / 57.  1.100
libavfilter     6. 65.100 /  6. 65.100
libavresample   3.  1.  0 /  3.  1.  0
libswscale      4.  2.100 /  4.  2.100
libswresample   2.  3.100 /  2.  3.100
libpostproc    54.  1.100 / 54.  1.100

But what is causing this error message?

Of note, prior to installing I have used "brew prune", "brew update", "brew upgrade", "brew cleanup", "brew doctor" and am using Homebrew v1.1.8 - Homebrew/homebrew-core (git revision 35fb; last commit 2017-01-29)

Also of note, considering the error message comes while the install is in the "==> make alltools" phase, I notice in the /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/.brew/ffmpeg.rb file the following (relevant?) code:

class Ffmpeg < Formula
    def install
      if build.with? "tools"
        system "make", "alltools"
        bin.install Dir["tools/*"].select { |f| File.executable? f }
      end
    end
end

I am not sure if this is related but since I am using thw `--with-tools` option, perhaps the `bin.install` is raising the error?

Even with the error message, the resulting install has ffmpeg, ffprobe, ffserver but `ffplay` is not recognized as a command. Using:
"$ brew unlink ffmpeg && brew link ffmpeg"
...I am able to get the ffplay command recognized and the tool working.

Why is this error message getting reported and what do I need to do for a successful install with all the options?

Pertinent --debug output

$  brew install ffmpeg --debug --with-chromaprint --with-fdk-aac --with-fontconfig --with-freetype --with-frei0r --with-game-music-emu --with-libass --with-libbluray --with-libbs2b --with-libcaca --with-libebur128 --with-libgsm --with-libmodplug --with-libsoxr --with-libssh --with-libvidstab --with-libvorbis --with-libvpx --with-opencore-amr --with-openh264 --with-openjpeg --with-openssl --with-opus --with-rtmpdump --with-rubberband --with-schroedinger --with-sdl2 --with-snappy --with-speex --with-tesseract --with-theora --with-tools --with-two-lame --with-wavpack --with-webp --with-x265 --with-xz --with-zeromq --with-zimg

==> make install
==> make alltools

Fixing /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig/libavresample.pc permissions from 644 to 444
Fixing /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig/libavutil.pc permissions from 644 to 444
Fixing /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig/libpostproc.pc permissions from 644 to 444
Fixing /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig/libswresample.pc permissions from 644 to 444
Fixing /usr/local/opt/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig/libswscale.pc permissions from 644 to 444
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula_installer.rb:297:in `mkdir'
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula_installer.rb:297:in `mkdir'
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula_installer.rb:297:in `install'
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cmd/install.rb:306:in `install_formula'
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cmd/install.rb:199:in `block in install'
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cmd/install.rb:199:in `each'
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/cmd/install.rb:199:in `install'
/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/brew.rb:94:in `<main>'
$

Also, I have filed a bug report with Homebrew and a question to the Apple forum on Stack Exchange. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!
mixelpix

Re: Error with Homebrew install using all --with options

Postby mixelpix » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:28 pm

mixelpix

Postby mixelpix » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Per the error report with Homebrew, this appears to be an issue isolated to chromaprint.

Installing with all flag options excluding chromaprint reports no error.
mixelpix

Postby llogan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:22 am

Thanks for the followup.

I generally recommend to install only what you expect you will use instead of a legion of extras of debatable usefulness.
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Return to Compiling FFmpeg