Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Creating redistributable for local use ONLY

Troubleshooting compilation problems on all platforms.

Creating redistributable for local use ONLY

Postby AndrewW » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:56 pm

I have successfully compiled ffmpeg with libfdk-acc enabled and all works well. I want to install this on another machine, i.e one without a compiler.
DO I have to create a redistributable for this and if so how.
I have NO intention on actually redistributing this to the outside my network or using it as part of a package. I simply want to install on a server without a compiler.

Kind Regard
Andrew
AndrewW

Re: Creating redistributable for local use ONLY

Postby llogan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:45 pm

You could possibly just copy the ffmpeg binary to the other computer, but it depends if you made a static binary or not. If not you could possibly still use it if the systems are identical or similar. If it complains about missing shared objects refer to "ldd /path/to/ffmpeg".
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby AndrewW » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Static compiling is easier said than done, by the look of the internet posts about this topic is not just be having issues. There were even a copy of Sourceforge entries for static compilers for ffmpeg, which don't appear to work any longer.

Has any one successfully managed it apart from the standard builds, not sure if the build scripts for these are available any where ?
AndrewW

Postby llogan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:51 pm

Not sure what you mean by "standard builds", but these are static:
http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

I've never done it myself. Never had a need.
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby AndrewW » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:31 pm

That's what i meant by standard builds those and the ones which form part of a Linux distribution. The trouble is lots of people are looking for ways to do static builds, and they appear very hard to do. I'm just wondering if i missed something
AndrewW

Postby llogan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Just to clarify, there is nothing standard about those builds and they are not part of a Linux distro. Some others are providing something similar for Windows and macOS. These builds are not from FFmpeg but from other users/volunteers.
llogan

Postby mark255 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi there.
I do this - build ffmpeg (and libvpx, fdk-aac, x264, x265...) on one PC, and then install to another PC (in the same house).
Debian (and so Ubuntu) has
Code: Select all
checkinstall
which wraps
Code: Select all
make install
and traps all activity which it then uses to build a .DEB package. At the end, I have an entry in the APT database, so my home-builds don't get clobbered by official ones, and a .DEB file I can copy across to the other PC and install via any APT-based package manager.
mark255

Return to Compiling FFmpeg