Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Compile FFMPEG for a commercial application

Troubleshooting compilation problems on all platforms.

Compile FFMPEG for a commercial application

Postby pgrillo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:38 am

I am trying to understand legal terms and conditions of FFMPEG but after two days of reading topics in this forum and other forums I am still confused. I pretend to use a compiled binary of FFMPEG as a support tool in a commercial/proprietary application to convert video files to AVI format and cut portions of a video.

I have compiled FFMPEG with the following flags:
Code: Select all
--disable-network --disable-debug --disable-yasm --disable-gpl --disable-nonfree --enable-version3

I don't know if it's necessary any other flag.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!
pgrillo

Re: Compile FFMPEG for a commercial application

Postby llogan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:06 pm

pgrillo wrote:to convert video files to AVI format and cut portions of a video

AVI is a container format. This does not clarify what exact video and audio formats you plan on encoding.

pgrillo wrote:
--disable-yasm

Why did you disable yasm?
pgrillo wrote:
--disable-gpl

You can remove this. You have to explicitly use --enable-gpl to enable GPL code which would result in GPL v2 license.
pgrillo wrote:
--disable-nonfree

You can remove this. You have to explicitly use --enable-nonfree to use non-free code which would result in FFmpeg being unredistributable.
pgrillo wrote:
--enable-version3

What's the reson for using --enable-version3? You are not using any configure options that enable any external libraries that require this.

With your current configure FFmpeg would have a license of "LGPL version 3 or later" which would be the license you would have to comply with.

pgrillo wrote:I don't know if it's necessary any other flag.

That depends on what you need to do with ffmpeg, what external libraries your ffmpeg needs to support, and what license(s) your commercial application would be compatible with.
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Re: Compile FFMPEG for a commercial application

Postby pgrillo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks llogan! This was what I was looking for.
pgrillo

Return to Compiling FFmpeg