Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

Hardware Acceleration

Discussions, suggestions, and questions about this forum.

Hardware Acceleration

Postby PCGeek » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:05 am

Looking around the internet I found many ways to boost the speeds of video transcoding. Some examples are AMD APP, NVidia CUDA, Aegia PhysX, Toshiba Spurs Engine, Matrox Compressor HD, AMD Firestream, Tarari Media Encoder, Pyro Kompressor HD, Xeon Phi, Intel Quick Sync and NVidia Tesla. I am curious as to when these will get incorporated into FFMPEG as this will end up making the most premiere video software on the market by far. Most if not all of these have SDKs which should allow for easy, almost drag and drop coding to add them in. I most appreciate all the work involved with this and thank you all for your efforts in the making and upgrading of this program. Keep up the good work!
PCGeek

Re: Hardware Acceleration

Postby llogan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Why is this under forum suggestions?

Most encoders utilizing GPGPU or whatever are crap. Slow and bad quality.

FFmpeg supports NVENC. x264 supports some stuff via OpenCL. Although you'll probably get better quality and faster encoding than either using the vanilla encoder libx264.
llogan

Return to Forum suggestions