Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

Can ffprobe show creation_time in microseconds?

Discussions about problems encountered using ffprobe.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

Can ffprobe show creation_time in microseconds?

Postby michaelsander » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:10 pm

I am using ffprobe to see the creation_time of a mp4 video stream. The result is a date/time including seconds.

ffprobe -v quiet -show_entries stream_tags=creation_time test.mp4
[STREAM]
TAG:creation_time=2017-02-21 15:42:43
[/STREAM]

I think the underlying data for the creation_time is a value in microseconds. Is there any way for ffprobe to display that?

(I tried using the -sexagesimal option, but that didn't seem to have any effect.)

thanks, Michael
michaelsander

Re: Can ffprobe show creation_time in microseconds?

Postby Roger Wilco » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi,

at least for ffmpeg created files I'd say no, as the creation_time timestamp is formatted with year, month,day, hour,minute, second and timezone, so the precision is 1s only (see below).

If any other tool stores the timestamp with a higher precision in the tag, then you of course could calculate the microseconds from the string...

ffmpeg_opt.c:
Code: Select all
if (!strftime(buf, sizeof(buf), "creation_time=%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%z", &time))
Roger Wilco

Return to ffprobe