Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

How to compile FFPlay?

Discussions about problems encountered using ffplay.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

How to compile FFPlay?

Postby ajcrm125 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi... I'm trying to compile ffmpeg/ffplay tools for the Raspberry Pi by following the instructions here:
https://www.assetbank.co.uk/support/doc ... an-jessie/

When I'm done, I can see that ffmpeg compiled correctly (I can see the final executable) but I don't see a ffplay executable anywhere. Is there something I should have done during the 'configure' step to trigger the ffplay build?

Thanks!
-Adam
Last edited by llogan on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link. i think you can add links after you have one post.
ajcrm125

Re: How to compile FFPlay?

Postby llogan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:17 pm

ffplay requires SDL2, so you need libsdl2-dev as a dependency.
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby ajcrm125 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Hmmm .. I did a
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install lidbdl2-dev

and that installed fine. Did a 'make clean' followed by a make and same result. Seems ffmpeg, ffprobe and ffserver all build fine.

Note, I'm not getting a ffplay build/compile error or anything... I'm just not seeing it getting built at all.. even though can see it listed in the makefile, config file etc.
Is there something I need to add to the command line in either the configure or the make to trigger the build?
ajcrm125

Postby llogan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:46 pm

You forgot to rerun ./configure:
make distclean
./configure
make
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby ajcrm125 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:05 pm

Yeah still no luck. I see all the executables but ffplay :(
ajcrm125

Postby ajcrm125 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Interesting! I see this in the config.mak file after doing the configure:

!CONFIG_FFPLAY=yes
CONFIG_FFPROBE=yes
CONFIG_FFSERVER=yes
CONFIG_FFMPEG=yes

Any reason why that would be commented out? The configure step didn't send anything to stdout.
ajcrm125

Postby llogan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:33 pm

The "guide" you followed compiles an old, outdated ffmpeg version where the ffplay dependency was a different SDL version. Make sure to use FFmpeg derived from the current git master branch:
wget http://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-snapshot.tar.bz2

Some info here:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu
llogan

Postby ajcrm125 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks! Gonna try this now..
ajcrm125

Postby llogan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Also, since you're using rpi if you're interested in hardware assisted decoding or encoding consider adding:
--enable-mmal --enable-omx-rpi

See: http://stackoverflow.com/a/40182218/1109017
llogan

Return to ffplay