Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

ffplay and timecode filter issues

Discussions about problems encountered using ffplay.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

ffplay and timecode filter issues

Postby ljwobker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:55 pm

I'm attempting to use ffplay with drawtext and timecode to determine the exact frame I want to seek to when re-encoding. When I launch ffplay with the following:

Code: Select all
ffplay -vf "drawtext=fontfile=/Windows/Fonts/arialbd.ttf:timecode='00\:00\:00\:00':rate=48:fontcolor=black:fontsize=48:x=w*0.75:y=h*0.01" input.MP4

It launches and correctly displays the timecode in the video stream. HOWEVER, if I use the left/right seek function, the timecode immediately resets to whatever input was provided on the command line (zeros in this case), so the only way I can get the correct input offset is to watch up to the seek point in 1x time.

I know I can re-encode with the timecode applied to the output video, but I'm trying to avoid that step if at all possible. Does anyone know why ffplay can clearly seek by the correct amount, but the timecode isn't made aware of the jump?

Should it be relevant: this is from a windows static build from about 3 weeks ago, and I verified the same behavior on the most recent linux static build as well.
ljwobker

Return to ffplay