Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Play video as fast forward and slow

Discussions about problems encountered using ffplay.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

Play video as fast forward and slow

Postby njrdinesh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi,
i want to control the playback speed to achieve slow mo video and hyperlapse video preview of original video.
Do any one help me out to do this.
njrdinesh

Re: Play video as fast forward and slow

Postby ljwobker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:46 pm

You can feed the "setpts" filter into ffplay, although on some systems it may not work reliably due to timestamping sync issues. You *may* have to re-encode the video with ffmpeg to make this work...

google for "speed up ffmpeg video" and you'll find the link.

ffplay video at 2x speed:

Code: Select all
ffplay -i GOPR3282.MP4 -vf "setpts=0.5*PTS"

re-encode at HALF speed with all default encoder options:

Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i GOPR3282.MP4 -vf "setpts=2*PTS" half.mp4
ljwobker

Return to ffplay