Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Control ffplay in background

Discussions about problems encountered using ffplay.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

Control ffplay in background

Postby bitboy0 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:05 am

ffplay works just fine, but I like to control it from script in the background

I Play a video (length 10s)
Than I like to show a JPG for the duration of 5s
Than another JPG also 5s
Than a video again

How can I update the Job in the Backgrund, without killing the player?

The "duration" using "-t 10" stops the video after 10 seconds, but the script waits for "Q"-Key pressed for the next command.
bitboy0

Re: Control ffplay in background

Postby llogan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:37 pm

Use -autoexit if you simply have several ffplay commands.
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby bitboy0 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:19 am

The Problem than is: If I display a jpeg with
Code: Select all
avplay -fs -t 10 -autoexit  filname.jpg

Than the image is NOT there for 10 seconds but just for the duration of a frame.
Code: Select all
avplay -fs -t 10 filname.jpg

This also ignores the duration. But now the jpg is shown forever.

So what I'm looking for:
commandline-controlable video/image-Player where I can switch seamles between the files.
So I can display a 10s image, followed by a 15s mov (and so on) , without black-screen between the differnent contents.

Is that possible using ffplay?
bitboy0

Postby llogan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:38 am

You're using avplay. That's not from FFmpeg. Only tools from FFmpeg are supported here.
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby bitboy0 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:38 pm

I tried to get ffplay for my raspian... but all packets I found does NOT include ffplay.

Is there anyone who can give the ffplay - binary for RASPIAN to me?
bitboy0

Postby llogan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:08 pm

I'm not familiar with Raspbian, and I'm assuming your version is build from Debian Jessie. There is the jessie-backports repo that appears to contain ffmpeg, ffplay, etc, but I don't know if it is supported by Raspbian.
llogan

Return to ffplay