Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

What is this encoding and how can I use it?

Discussions about problems encountered using ffmpeg.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

What is this encoding and how can I use it?

Postby tanha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:34 am

I have an mp3 and mediainfo says the following quoted below

I notice encoding doesn't say libmp3lame

How do I get ffmpeg to convert a WAV so that it just looks like standard mp3 it doesn't say libmp3lame?

what encoding is this, if not libmp3lame? whatever encoding this is it doesn't seem to have a name..

howcome ffmpeg can't make it a format like the one below? or can it?

C:\>mediainfo a.mp3
General
Complete name : a.mp3
Format : MPEG Audio
File size : 3.54 MiB
Duration : 3mn 5s
Overall bit rate : 160 Kbps
Album : Legend
Track name : Good
Performer : Nixdorux
Genre : Game
Recorded date : 2004
Comment :

Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Duration : 3mn 5s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 160 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 3.54 MiB (100%)
tanha

Re: What is this encoding and how can I use it?

Postby admin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:24 am

That file is not created using libmp3lame library (which ffmpeg also uses), so that's why there is no "LAME" signature in it. There are a lot of mp3 encoders out there (even for windows/mac/etc) so, it could be any of them. The best chance to find out which one was used to create the file is to take a look at the file's metadata. If it contains the info about the creator of the file, then you got it. If not, well, search the google, download several of the most famous mp3 encoders and try to encode the file to see if you can get the exact info with mediainfo.

To see the file's metadata, try typing like this:
Code: Select all
ffmpeg -i input.mp3
admin
Site Admin

Return to ffmpeg