Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

No error reported for bad index

Who doesn't love them :) But for faster response on your Bug Reports, please visit: http://www.ffmpeg.org/bugreports.html
Forum rules
First of all, please remember that all the developers working on FFmpeg are volunteers, we are not paid for analyzing, debugging, fixing and answering bug reports. While we try our best to create high quality software and be responsive, if you should not get an answer, please consider the above and be aware of the fact that we receive many bug reports and the amount of time it takes to deal with them can be substantial. Nevertheless most issues get resolved, just please understand that there are no guarantees nor promises.

No error reported for bad index

Postby EricOuellet » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:42 am

Hi,

I'm not a professional in video. I used FFmpeg to detect errors in files for the ones where vlc would warn me. I'm using the latest version: N-78335-g9ee4c89 Copyright (c) 2000-2016.

VideoLan (VLC) error: "Because this AVI file index is broken or missing, seeking will not work correctly. VLC won't repair your file but can temporary fix this problem by building an index in memory. This step..."

I run this command on my video file to detect error: ffmpeg -err_detect aggressive -loglevel warning -i "myVideo.avi" -f null - >error.log 2>&1

But the log file stay empty. I try many options, verbose, info, etc, without success. Each time no error are detected.

I wonder why FFmpeg does not see any error when VLC find so important to warn people of it? Is that a bug in FFmpeg or simply VLC that is too sensible?

Should I ask for a suggestion?
Thanks.
EricOuellet

Return to Bugs, bugs, bugs :)