Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Single Core Encoder multi-process file in chunks and merge?

Suggestions and feature requests, whislists, etc.

Single Core Encoder multi-process file in chunks and merge?

Postby jack44556677 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm not sure if this is a sane suggestion / feature request, but more like a question....

Premise : Sometimes I will have to re-encode audio streams because they are non-compliant with my media player.... Often I use the libfdk_aac codec to do this and am always peeved at it's single core limitation.

Feature Request / Question : When using single core / thread encoders, is it possible to split the entirety of the audio (and/or video) stream into chunks, and then process each chunk with seperate ffmpeg backround processes configured to distribute over separate cores then concatenate the outputs of those background jobs back together? I would presume there would be a significant increase in speed (especially with 8 cores), even if the concatenation / remerging had to be done with an external tool and add "extra" time. Thoughts?
jack44556677

Return to Suggestions