Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Book about ffmpeg

Suggestions and feature requests, whislists, etc.

Book about ffmpeg

Postby aleniuk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi everybody.
I wish to write a book about ffmpeg and distribute it under GPL.
But this is for make some money (if only a little bit), so the plan is to print it and wait for somebody to ask the sources.
The language is Russian, as you can see - my English is not perfect..

The reason of the GPL is not only the religion/experiment , this is for using parts of ffmpeg's source code in the book. Otherwise it can't satisfy theme enough, I think.

So the questions are:
1) Is it clear to write a book about ffmpeg do I have to ask somebody's permission?
2) Maybe the parts of GPL functions can be used without GPL ?
3) How do you think, is it a bad idea , to sell a book under the GPL.
4) I can't get the reasons , how did the project begin. I mean, what were the commertial reasons , was it an agreement between companies , or some group of people just decided to make a big great job?

P.S. as all this "fantasy projects" my job can be undone (probability 70% I think), the lack of time and so on. But the plan is here, and anyway if somebody would print a book about ffmpeg, I would buy it, and many other people too.
aleniuk

Re: Book about ffmpeg

Postby llogan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:43 pm

1) Is it clear to write a book about ffmpeg do I have to ask somebody's permission?

You do not need permission, and making money from it is of course allowed.

2) Maybe the parts of GPL functions can be used without GPL?

What GPL functions are you referring to?

3) How do you think, is it a bad idea , to sell a book under the GPL.

I don't remember ever encountering a book under the GPL. If you're not distributing the FFmpeg source code, and if you're not making verbatim copies of other sources, then you can probably use whatever appropriate license you prefer (or none at all). The only real suggestion I can provide is to get legal counsel and ask them.

if somebody would print a book about ffmpeg, I would buy it

There is one called FFmpeg Basics for $9.50 (US Dollars, I believe).
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby aleniuk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:34 am

What GPL functions are you referring to?

something like this:
Code: Select all
void avcodec_register_all(void)
{
    static int initialized;

if (initialized)
        return;
    initialized = 1;

/* hardware accelerators */
    REGISTER_HWACCEL(H263_VAAPI,        h263_vaapi);
    REGISTER_HWACCEL(H263_VDPAU,        h263_vdpau);

There is one called FFmpeg Basics for $9.50 (US Dollars, I believe).

Yes, that's right, but it is the only one
aleniuk

Postby llogan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:18 pm

aleniuk wrote:something like this:

That's from "libavcodec/allcodecs.c" which is LGPL.

However, I'm not sure how you include (L)GPL code in a book and conform to the license and copyright. You'll need to ask a lawyer or possibly get help from FSF.
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Return to Suggestions