Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Add Metadata for Audiobooks?

Suggestions and feature requests, whislists, etc.

Add Metadata for Audiobooks?

Postby vance003 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:54 pm

I use FFmpeg to help transfer my aax Audible audiobooks to m4b formats for iTunes. In general it handles the metadata just fine, but I find that Audible uses some tags that FFmpeg does not know about. These include tags for Narrator ("©nrt"), Publisher ("©pub"), and Description ("©des"). The first two are standard tags, comprising up to 255 characters, but the "©des" tag differs from the standard "desc" Description tag in that it has no limit in length; in that way it is more like the LongDescription ("ldes", referred to by FFmpeg as "Synopsis") tag.

In any case, is it possible to incorporate "©nrt", "©pub", and "©des" into a future iteration of FFmpeg? If a length limit has to be attached to "©des", it should be something like 3000 characters --- I've seen some of these that go on and on.

(Alternatively, if in my stupidity I've overlooked a way to get FFmpeg to handle these already, with no recoding needed, please let me know.)

Thanks all!
vance003

Re: Add Metadata for Audiobooks?

Postby rachalmers » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi,
Saw your posting, and wondered if you would care to share your command line to convert the AAX files please.

I can't figure out what the -activation_byte secret is supposed to be ...

This works fine for aa files.
ffmpeg -i Volume2_1.aa -vsync 2 -c:a copy Volume2_1.mp4

But not for AAX files. What is needed for the

ffmpeg -activation_bytes 1CEB00DA -i test.aax -vn -c:a copy output.mp4

if you can help
Thanks
robert@chalmers.com.au & Quantum Radio: http://tinyurl.com/lwwddov
Mac mini 6.2 - 2012, Intel Core i7,2.3 GHz, Memory:16 GB. El-Capitan 10.11. 2TB Storage -
Drive 0:HGST HTS721010A9E630. Upper bay. Drive 1:ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB. Lower Bay
rachalmers

Return to Suggestions