Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

FFserver is/was going away

Discussions about problems encountered using ffserver.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

FFserver is/was going away

Postby llogan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:05 pm

From ffmpeg.org:
After thorough deliberation, we're announcing that we're about to drop the ffserver program from the project starting with the next release. ffserver has been a problematic program to maintain due to its use of internal APIs, which complicated the recent cleanups to the libavformat library, and block further cleanups and improvements which are desired by API users and will be easier to maintain. Furthermore the program has been hard for users to deploy and run due to reliability issues, lack of knowledgable people to help and confusing configuration file syntax. Current users and members of the community are invited to write a replacement program to fill the same niche that ffserver did using the new APIs and to contact us so we may point users to test and contribute to its development.

Update: A few loud developers blocked the plans at the last minute so it appears ffserver is here to stay and bitrot for nobody to continue to use.
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Re: FFserver is going away

Postby woodbeastz » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:28 am

What can I use to replace FFmpeg on my Linux server? LOL I just installed it 2 months ago

Thanks
woodbeastz

Re: FFserver is going away

Postby kelo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:54 am

woodbeastz wrote:What can I use to replace FFmpeg on my Linux server? LOL I just installed it 2 months ago

Thanks

Good question. What did you replace it with?
kelo

Re: FFserver is/was going away

Postby llogan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:18 pm

See update above.
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby ewack » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:21 am

Can someone give me more details on the future of FFserver?

I am about to start a large app where I save and stream video. I came across FFserver and it seems like the perfect tool for what I want to do. The announcement on July 10th 2016 about it being dropped on the ffmpeg website made me hesitant to use FFserver. This post seems to indicate that FFserver is not going away but is not going to be actively developed either. Is it a mistake to start a large app using FFserver? I am not able to find information about this anywhere else. I made an account just to ask this question.

Thanks!
ewack

Postby llogan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 am

You should ask the ffmpeg-user mailing list where one of the ffserver zealots may provide some info on that matter.
llogan

Return to ffserver