Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Subtitles from pipe or fifo?

Discussions about problems encountered using ffmpeg.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

Subtitles from pipe or fifo?

Postby lbdroidman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm using ffmpeg to capture video from several v4l2 cameras into an mkv container. I would also like to add in a subtitle or other data track that is generated from a live NMEA data stream (GPS logs).

I tried to modify gpspipe (part of gpsd) to output the data in SubRip format (srt) and feed it to a fifo. I was successful in that the modified gpspipe produces a correct srt output, but silly ffmpeg wants to see the end of the file before it will start working with it. This obviously won't happen until gpspipe closes the fifo.

I am aware of how I could achieve gps log subtitles using drawtext with reload, but there are a number of problems with this approach;
1) It will not be possible to extract the subtitles back to text.
2) the hardcoded subtitles will obscure the video.
3) the raspberry pi's CPU isn't powerful enough to do this on a live stream.

And just to add even more complexity to the situation;
1) I'm segmenting the output every 60 seconds,
2) There is the potential for uncontrolled power loss at any moment.
Meaning, of course, that it is non-trivial to add in the subtitles later on.

Anybody have any suggestions as to how one might mux in a live stream of text?
lbdroidman

Return to ffmpeg