Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Version for kubuntu

Discussions about problems encountered using ffmpeg.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

Version for kubuntu

Postby species8350 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello,

Which version of ffmpeg should I download and install for kubuntu ver 14.04?

Thank you
species8350

Re: Version for kubuntu

Postby llogan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:37 pm

You should use the latest version available from the git master branch. The easiest method is to download it:
http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby species8350 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Thank you

I have an older machine so under the git build it looks like I should download the x86 build. However, it looks like release 3.2.4 is the later version. Advice please.
species8350

Postby llogan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 pm

Releases are for distributors. General users are recommended to use a git build which is always more up to date that a release.

You can use uname to determine if you should use x86 or x86_64:
Code: Select all
$ uname -m
x86_64

Once you download and extract the ffmpeg binary you can move it to /usr/local/bin (or ~/bin if you lack root or superuser permissions).
Get an answer more quickly by providing your actual ffmpeg command and the complete console output. Use the code button to format your command and output or your question will be ignored.
llogan

Postby species8350 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:53 am

Thank you

uname -m

i686

Seems odd!

I believe that I should use the 32 bit version (only 1 GB RAM; old processor)

It looks like I should download x86 build, just under git: gb8a.......................

Best wishes.

Ps. I do not have git installed - does this matter regarding the ffmpeg build?
species8350

Postby llogan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Yes, use the x86 version.

No, you don't need git to be installed.
llogan

Return to ffmpeg