Home/News | About | Download | Documentation | Forum | Bug Reports | Contact | Donations | Consulting | Projects | Legal | Security | FATE

This forum has not been maintained for a long time and will probably get deleted in the near future.
For faster responses to your questions, please use StackOverflow instead and tag your questions with "FFmpeg".
If you need a backup of the posts from this forum, please contact me directly.

Settings in MPEG4 Encoder to make XviD Standalone Compatible

Discussions about problems encountered using ffmpeg.
Forum rules
FFmpeg is in a state of perpetual development and we do not currently have the person power to backport fixes to official releases. As such, if you wish to query or report a bug, you must try with the latest development branch revision of FFmpeg to confirm the issue still exists. The latest FFmpeg can be downloaded from here: http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

Settings in MPEG4 Encoder to make XviD Standalone Compatible

Postby edumj » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:22 am

Hi,

Since I discovered that libxvid has a bug with 2 pass encoding (since 2014!) I'm trying (again) to use mpeg4 native encoder to make fully compatible XviD files. Also because it's much faster than libxvid, can do interlaced, and can control maximum bitrate peaks with the -bufsize and -maxrate options that seems doesn't exist in libxvid.

If I use B frames (with and without closed gop), it becomes unwatchable in PS3 (cutted frames), hangs in one LG DVD Player, and pixelates in the majority of devices I've tried (DVD Players, DVB Tuners, 4K TV). So I won't use B frames.

Ok, but even without B frames, there's only audio with an old DVD Player I've tried (where files made with libxvid are ok). I've tried lots of settings combinations with no luck in that player.

With simple commands like these (No Qpel, No GMC, No B frames, ...), it only works with libxvid library:
Code: Select all
 -c:v libxvid -b:v 1500k -s 720x416 -vtag XVID -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 128k
 -c:v mpeg4 -b:v 1500k -s 720x416 -vtag XVID -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 128k

No matter wich "-vtag" I use (XVID seems the most compatible), not even with MOD 32 resolutions (I need MOD 16 not to see a green bootom line in PS3 when interlacing), neither with "-strict very" I just found or with "-me_range 1023" wich is supposed to make Divx Player Compatible files. I also changed User Data to 'XviD0065' with MPEG4Modifier as that is what libxvid writes, also specified Advanced Simple Profile 5 (AS@L5) with "-profile:v 15 -level 5", and any files shows the vídeo.

Maybe there is some default option I have to deactivate to make it fully DivX compatible??

In codec options https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#Codec-Options there are lots of options (much more than in libxvid https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html#Options-27) and I don't know which could be the one it makes videos not fully compliant.

Is there any program, besides MediaInfo and Gspot, to compare two files to see every setting used by the encoder??

Thanks.
edumj

Re: Settings in MPEG4 Encoder to make XviD Standalone Compat

Postby edumj » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:22 am

Nobody?
edumj

Postby mulvya » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:55 am

You can share a short video that does play in your players, so we can see how to match it.
mulvya

Postby edumj » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi,

This video (I only have audio in that Player) is made with ffmpeg and mpeg4 native encoder:
https://mega.nz/#!nA9QiKyJ!3m31dgLlD7N8QbrvJazlCvwGB8G_erSbKjjVbTrrVwo
with this options:
Code: Select all
"ffmpeg (2017) 64bits.exe" -i "Futurama - 7x01 .mp4" -t 60 -c:v mpeg4 -b:v 1500k -vtag XVID -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 128k "ffmpeg.avi"

I can upload a working video (made with libxvid) but I made another with Mencoder (I think it uses the same libavcodec mpeg4 encoder library than ffmpeg) and this works! (audio and video are ok!):
https://mega.nz/#!SVUGUSoZ!JCVKCKsdsm8kpJXwGgAozYImIaokYQYpPiahDviog6o
and also with default settings (whitout B frames and also adding XVID FourCC).
So maybe default options are different whith the two programs.

I don't know if there's a way to know what differences are between files made with ffmpeg and the working one made with Mencoder, besides MediaInfo and Gspot (only changes User Data and audio Preload Duration, which won't be the problem, althought I can't change it).

Also with Mencoder I get rid of that annoying "VBR Audio detected" message with VDub! And after analyzing both with AVInaptic, in the one made with ffmpeg I found a repeated "Bitrate" field which says "128 kbps VBR", appart from the other that says "128 kbps CBR"! So, this must be one of the problems??

Thanks!
edumj

Return to ffmpeg